Thursday, August 28, 2008

Fighting the man

So I’ve decided that I am going to try and save my old elementary school. This summer a new school will be completed and the old one will be demolished. I cannot bear the thought of yet another historic building being lost in my town. Some of the first buildings here were demolished and a McDonald’s stands in their place – A MCDONALD’S! It is horrific in its generic-ness. This school is one of the last of the old town buildings and I have to try and save it. I am doing research on old buildings and understand that it can be rather cost prohibitive, but it shouldn’t be all about money, we need to preserve our history. Imagine if Europe had leveled everything every hundred or so years and rebuilt – it would look like the newer parts of my town – CRAPPY! Yes I am ranting, but I am passionate about old things! They are awesome! I am using an excessive amount of exclamation points! Anyway, I have a number of plans in the works. One plan involves trying to come up with the money to turn the school into the town museum. They are planning to build a new building in which they would display historic pictures of our town, pictures featuring buildings THAT WERE DEMOLISHED. How fantastic would it be if that history resided in a living, historical representation of the town’s past? It would be frackin’ great! That is my ideal plan. My “if all else fails” plan involves chaining myself to the school. If you find yourself in my town this summer and you feel as passionately about old buildings as I do, please support the cause and bring me Pop Tarts.

No comments: