Monday, May 15, 2006




So this weekend I completed my current read. I finally finished William Golding's "Lord of the Flies." Like most high school 9th graders, or Junior High Schoolers depending on where you went to school, I read "Lord of the Flies." However, I have decided to re-visit some of these books. I think I understand more about human nature now that I'm old and rotting away with each passing moment. The book is amazingly provocotive. Golding's book is one of the few books in which I felt sick by the end of the book due to the realization of its truthfullness. Although a ficticious narrative, the book is by no means immaginary. As time passes throughout the book, dissention, anarchy, and the balance of power incite many of the island captive children to metamorphose into creatures of their passions and carnal desires. Jack Merridew, the leading dissenter organizes a group of "Hunters," intent on following the rules of the jungle, "eat or be eaten," "kill or be killed," etc. Ralph, on the other hand, seeks rule of law and order in a collective effort to be civilized and eventually rescued through team-work. The dissention creates a nasty division among the children. Jack recruits many of Ralphs entrouage and creates little servants of evil. Rodger, Jack's righ-hand-man executes those who dare fight the law of the jungle. Graphic images of the Rodger's pole sharpened at both ends," -the tool designed to display Ralphs head are quite terrifying. Eventually, when it seems as though Ralph will follow the other boys who were executed, the boys are rescued - not only from the island, but from the dangerous reality of Jungle Law.

I give this book a good review.

Miller

Peace

1 comment:

Pjamms said...

"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is a good read as well. It's one of those classics you can peruse again and again.

I just like the antiquated American Slang. Heh.