Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Further proof of freakdom

So I have problems relating to people. If I said it before, it bears reiteration - weird is an adjective that is used frequently to describe me. It used to bother me and I tried to tone the weirdness down, but it didn’t work. Weird is an integral part of who I am. I have found that weird and socially awkward tend to go hand in hand. Case in point – what happened today. I have these “secret crushes” which are crushes that basically everyone I know knows about, except the crushee. I like to keep it that way and hope that they are never the wiser. Those in the know say “oh don’t worry, they’ll be flattered” if the worst case scenario of crushee enlightenment occurs. It actually ends up as “Oh My God! That strange girl who seems to be constantly dressing as Napoleon Dynamite likes me - Must disappear NOW!” As a result I have learned to be so low key that people can never tell who I like unless I tell them and I tell a lot of people – I will never be recruited for covert operations. This works for me - has for years despite most of the planet knowing their identity.

Today I happened to run into one of my secret crushes who informs me that he has run into my mother, my lovely mother who says to him, “So you’re *****, I’m Via’s mom.” With NO OTHER explanation as to why she knows who he is, she left it at that and he relayed it like that and I turned the brightest shade of red (Al Gore could put me in his slide show with the caption – “Global warming leads to world’s worst sunburn”). He said, “Your mom is really nice.” I reply, “mkoajeyeahmfaoeij dajodjbrainnotworkingdakdja daoidjfakjbyekjaojkk” (statements in red actually intelligible words). I could have come up with some fantastic excuse for why my mother knew about him, but NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO, I was blind-sided and all I could do was stand there and mumble. The freak strikes again! AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!

No comments: